• Call us: 028 867 51515

Fusebox/Consumer Units Explained

Fusebox/Consumer Units Explained

Fusebox/Consumer Units Explained

The technical term for a fusebox is a consumer unit, this is where the electricity in your home is controlled and distributed. It’s important that your consumer unit can be easily located in case an issue occurs where you may need to turn off your electricity in an emergency.†
1. Main Switch†
Main Switch
The main switch allows you to turn on or off the electricity supply to your home. You might have more than one mains switch, for example if your home has electric storage heaters. In this case you may have a separate consumer unit.
2. Residual Current Devices (RCD)†
RCD
An RCD is a switch which will trip a circuit under dangerous conditions, and instantly disconnect the electricity. This is a life-saving device which is designed to prevent you from getting a fatal electric shock if you touch something live.
3. Circuit Breakers
MCB
A Circuit breaker is an automatic protection device which is placed in your fusebox in order to switch off a circuit if a fault is detected. They are similar in size to fuses, but give more precise protection. When they trip, you can simply reset the switch. But make sure you correct the fault first.
Fuses can be found in place of circuit breakers. A rewirable fuse has a piece of wire running between two screws, when a fault flows through the fuse wire, it will become hot and melt. The melted fuse breaks the circuit, disconnecting the faulty circuit and keeping you safe.

Related Consumer Units News

Summer DIY Safety

Take Care When ...

This summer take care while considering doing any DIY this summer! If you're planning some DIY don't end up a statistic. Every year there are around 70 deaths and 250,000 s...

Read more..
Simpalarm

New assisting d...

Simpalarm has now invented a device which has the ability to monitor people who live at home independently. The Simpalarm will alert relatives or carers, if there are any a...

Read more..
pool

Children suffer...

Three children were admitted to hospital after suffering from severe electric shocks in a swimming pool due to faulty wiring which sent electricity into the water.

The ...

Read more..
LiveZilla Live Chat Software